The School House


The School House


Photographs L - R :-

The School House being re-roofed


Owner October 2006 : School House Trust (Vicar and Churchwardens)

Information on previous owners/occupiers:
Indenture dated 31.1.1862 between John Tanner of Oakridge Lynch, farmer and the minister and church or chapel wardens of the church or chapel of St Bartholomew Oakridge Lynch who some time past agreed to purchase for the sum of £14.0.0 the parcel of land described for the purpose of erecting a messuage or dwelling house with suitable outbuildings for the residence and occupation of the schoolmaster or mistress for the time being of the Sunday and Day Schopols established in connection with the said church or chapel.

Minister and church/chapel wardens reported to have collected subscriptions and built a suitable dwelling and now conveyance and endowment of land and dwelling to minister and wardens as long as the school shall continue. (copy of plan attached to indenture) Oct 1922 Mr Allen reached age limit and obliged to resign. Present rent of School House £7.10.0 should be raised to £16 pa, the tennant to pay rates.

Identified in Lloyd George Survey 1910 as School house 432
Description: Stone and tile house good: 3 bedrooms, 2 sitting rooms, kitchen, scullery and pantry, lean-to galvanised shed, stone and tile washhouse and EC, garden

Owner 1910 : Frederick de Freville (vicar) ex officio Occupier 1910 : William Allen

Previous Owners/Occupiers:

1881 Census: William Allen + 2 sisters 1891 Census: William Allen (senior), Maria (wife), William (son) 1901 Census: William Allen, Adelaide (wife), 5 children, Bertha Smart (servant)

1911 Census No.1: William Allen + Rose (wife of 2 yrs) Violet Kate, Gwendoline, Kathleen, Winifred (daughters), Lionel, Lancelot (sons)

1939/40 War Inventory: Mr and Mrs Charles Weston, daughter Pegg


Oakridge History Group




The School House being re-roofed



“The School House,” Oakridge Community Archives, accessed April 19, 2019,


Item Relations

This item has no relations.