Iles Green, Previously known as Iles Green House, Iles Green Farm and Turner's Farm
Pictures are from a property sales brochure, 2018
Sir William Rothenstein, artist and, later, Principal of the Royal College of Art, purchased and refurbished the house in 1913 when the architect, Norman Jewson, added the significant Arts and Crafts features that are in evidence today.
During Sir William's time at Iles Green, some well known people visited the house, these include Augustus John, Max Beerbohm, John Drinkwater and A E Houseman.
General Lord Robertson, commander in chief Middle East and ADC general to George VI and Elizabeth II then Chairman of the British Transport Commission, lived at Iles Green from 1952 until his death in 1974. The present owners purchased from his widow, Edith, Lady Robertson, in 1978.
Extract from Grade 2 Listing description :
Large detached house. Dated 1614; enlarged early C18. 1914 enlargement incorporating former barn to north west by Norman Jewson for Sir William Rothenstein. Further additions of c1930. Random rubble limestone; ashlar and rubble chimneys; stone slate roof.
South-east facing 2-storey with attic range; 2-storey link section to single-storey with attic former barn to north-west forming courtyard. Two-storey range to north east.
Interior: former barn extensively fitted out by Norman Jewson with his characterstic vertical board and cover strip panel-ling, plank doors having ironwork by Alfred Bucknell.
Owners and Occupiers :
Lloyd George Survey 1911 -14 entry as Turner's Farm Owner: Miss Florence Driver, Watercombe Occupier: Oliver Rowles Description: 54 acres. Stone and tile built house, plain appearance, in good repair
Ministry of Agriculture Farm Survey 1941 : Iles Green Farm Tenant : A C Young Owner : Mrs W Hornby All pasture, no arable General Comments :Condition standard 80%fair/20%bad. Well water.Small dairy farm – cattle look very well.
1841 Tithe Apportionment: Iles Farm identified as “The Trilley” No1296 or Iles House: house, garden, yards and buildings. Occupier John Soul, Owner John Tanner.
1841 Census: Not identified (John Soul now at Oakridge Farm) 1851 Census :Charles H Driver (age 38 born Bisley) Farmer of 152 acres employing 10
1861 Census : Charles Driver Farmer of 250 acres employing 9 1871 Census : Not identified
1881 Census : Not identified
1891 Census : Not identified
1901 Census : Oliver Rowles and family (age 32 born Gloucester)
1911 Census : William Parker, farm labourer (born Cowcombe)
Kelly's Directories: Oliver Rowles listed as farmer in 1910, 1914, 1919, 1935 1939/40
1. N.M. Herbert, 'Bisley' in V.C.H. Glos. xi, 1976, pp 4-40;
2. D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979Information in 3. "Historical records of Bisley With Lipiatt" by Mary A Rudd p.391
Iles Green Farm is a Grade 2 Listed Building in The National Heritage List for England, you can see its full listing details here :
Gloucestershire Archives holds the following :
1. Iles Farm, Far Oakridge: inventory, valuation (insurance), Pre 1929, ref. D1405/10/68
2. Construction of swimming pool and conservatory at Iles Green, Far Oakridge, Bisley. Permission given. Application No. S.14423, 1984, ref. DC 16/204 & DC23/261
3. Alterations to form new window at Iles' Green Farm, Far Oakridge, Bisley-with-Lypiatt. Consent. Application No. S.LBC.351, 1979, ref. DC 23/8
This item has no relations.