The Nelson Inn

Title

The Nelson Inn

Subject

The Nelson Inn

Description

The original part of the house dates from about 1640 and it was probably a farm labourer's or woodcutter's cottage. The end barn of the top row of buildings dates from the same period, and was possibly part of the out-buildings of Iles Green Farm, in which case the cottager would have been a worker on that farm. Of interest is the carved stone incorporated in the rear wall of the barn. It was thought that this may have been a medieval cross but, in 1938, expert advice suggested that it is more likely to be the lid of a coffin, probably from Bisley Church.
An addition was made to the original cottage in early Victorian days, and this contained the Bar Parlour on the ground floor and a bedroom above. In 1977 we added a further bedroom, and considerably altered the interior. The cottage and farm were scheduled as buildings of Architectural or Historic interest under the 1948/9 Town and Country Planning Regulations.
The title deed are not complete, and the first mention is dated 1766 when the property was in the hands of the Watkins family. In 1839, David Watkins, a Surgeon of Soho,
Middlesex, transferred the land to a John Watkins of Bisley, at which time it was known as "Luggs Frith". In 1848 he sold "The Nelson Inn" and Luggs Frith to a Charles Moss. He sold it in 1861 to Edward Moss for a down payment of E650, followed by a further E965 in 1869. At that time there was a further 12 acres of land alongside the Pest House. In 1872 it was mortgaged by the County of Gloucester Banking Company of Cirencester, and bought by William Chapman. Charles Driver of Lilleyhorn House, a substantial landowner, paid off the Mortgage and took possession of Birds Firth in 1887. In 1896 Charles Driver left the Nelson Inn and land to one of his daughters, Mrs. Celia Smith, and she sold it to the Stroud Brewery Company in 1920.m Up to that time the Brewery had rented the Nelson
There is no clear record of the Licencees before a Martin Buckland in 1901, followed by
Mrs. Phipps in about 1914. Then came Mr. Short, who was followed in 1947 by Mr. and
Mrs. Conners. I can only find one record of the granting of a Licence by the Brewster Sessions which was in 1901, at which time it was noted that there was "one conviction in 1898".
When the Licence was surrendered Mr. and Mrs. Connors bought the house and land.
There are many stories of the people who frequented the Inn, and events largely apocryphal which have been gilded over the years! It is known that Max Beerholm used to buy his cigarettes here, and there were stories of visits by Oscar Wilde. Mr. Robbins remembers a 'plane making a forced landing in the home field in 1917, and Frank Finch has many stories of "goings on" here! Robert Mawdsley, who lived in the village and was one of the original "Archers" cast, was a frequent visitor and held it in high esteem.

Information from deeds, Record Office — William Oakes.

Source

The Pat Carrick Collection

Files

The Old Nelson.pdf

Citation

“The Nelson Inn,” Oakridge Community Archives, accessed June 27, 2017, http://oakridgecommunityarchives.org/items/show/697.

Item Relations

This item has no relations.

Social Bookmarking