John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England

Title

John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England

Subject

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Oakridge

Description

A village and a chapelry in Bisley parish, Gloucester.

The village stands under the Cotswolds, near the Thames and Severn canal, 2 miles N E of Brimscombe r. station, and 4½ E by S of Stroud. The chapelry was constituted in 1849; and its post town is Bisley, under Stroud. Pop. in 1861, 875. Houses, 217.

The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £64. Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol.

The church is a modern edifice, in the early English style; and consists of nave and chancel, with porch and tower.

There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.

Date

1872

Files

Gazeteer.jpg

Collection

Citation

“John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England ,” Oakridge Community Archives, accessed October 22, 2017, http://oakridgecommunityarchives.org/items/show/529.

Item Relations

This item has no relations.